This awesome recipe is so simple and quick! It takes 20 minutes and uses only one pan! All you need are a few simple ingredients!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1 cup quionoa
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes (28 ounces – do not drain)
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 avacado – halved and peeled, diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and jalapeno and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (about 1 minute)
- Stir in quinoa, black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, chilli powder and cumin. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until quinoa is cooked through (about 20 minutes)
- Stir in avocado, lime juice and cilantro
- Serve immediately
*Some extra tips*
Add in extra veggies if you have them on hand – try red or green peppers!
This meal is easy to make ahead and pack for lunches. It can be eaten hot or cold!
Nutritional Information (1 serving – serves 4 people) 400 kcal, 57.2g carbohydrates, 13.7g fibre, 15.2g protein, 200mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of Couchiching Family Health Team Dietitians!