I am joining the girls at Wild Workout Wednesday to share this awesome healthy recipe. Be sure to check out Annemarie, Angelena Marie, Upala and Amber for lots more posts on fitness and health!
Want a crazy way to shake up your summer salad routine?! Try this awesome quinoa salad packed with lots of protein and fresh ingredients!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1-2 ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 English cucumber, chopped
- 2-3 green onions or a chunk of purple onion, chopped
- 2 cups (packed) baby spinach, torn or sliced (optional)
- half can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- handful of torn cilantro (optional)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp white whine or white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp curry powder or mild paste
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn heat down to low. Cook until quinoa has absorbed the water, about 12-14 minutes. Fluff with fork
- Combine the oil, vinegar, honey, curry and cumin in a jar or small bowl and shake or whisk to blend. If you like, season the dressing with salt and pepper.
- Put the quinoa, mango, vegetables and beans in a large bowl, drizzle with dressing and toss until will coated. Serves 4-6.
*Some extra tips*
- Add in grilled chicken or shrimp for extra protein!
- Can be made ahead to bring to work or to a barbecue on the weekend!
Nutritional Information (1 serving ~ serves 6) 265 kcal, 35g carbohydrates, 6g fibre, 7g protein, 115mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of Couchiching Family Health Team Dietitians!