This delicious summer salad highlights in season vegetables in Ontario. Head out to a local farmer’s market to pick up the ingredients to make this tasty salad!
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced into rounds or half moons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends broken off and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
- lemon zest for garnish
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add quinoa, cover with a tight fitting lid, and turn heat down to low. Cook until quinoa has absorbed the water, about 12-14 minutes. Fluff with fork
- In a large skillet or wok, sauté the leek and garlic in the oil for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Add in the asparagus and sauté for another 5-10 minutes or until the asparagus is just tender, but still a bit crisp. Stir in the strawberries, peas, and parsley. Heat for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients (olive oil, lemon juice, honey and salt to taste. Pour dressing onto skillet mixture and stir in the cooked quinoa.
*Some extra tips*
- Add in chickpeas, grilled chicken or fish for protein!
- Bring to a summer BBQ or potluck
- Bring to work for a satisfying and healthy lunch!
Nutritional Information 212 kcal, 30g carbohydrates, 5.5g fibre, 7.2g protein, 129mg sodium
Recipe courtesy of Couchiching Family Health Team Dietitians – adapted from Oh She Glows!